The Roofing Industry Alliance was granted funding by CITB to undertake a research project to cover skills requirements in the roofing industry and this research has been conducted by independent professionals Skyblue Research.
The roofing sector faces some significant challenges in the next 3-4 years in order to meet top industry priorities. We need your help to really understand what the barriers are to training, to solving skills gaps, shortages, upskilling, multi-skilling and to taking on new people into our sector. With an ageing workforce, labour and skills shortages and an image problem the sector needs to take action now and it starts with getting some clear answers to these questions:
- How can we increase our sector’s attractiveness?
- How can we qualify the roofing workforce?
- How can we increase competence across the whole sector?
- How can we influence the provision of training to meet our needs?
- How can we best invest in our workforce to gain benefits all round?
- How can we co-ordinate practical actions that work?
Interviews and discussion groups
Your main business challenges
- What are the market conditions like for your firm?
- What are the big challenges in the next 3-4 years?
Ambition and Growth
- Do you have plans to grow?
- Could your workforce cope with growth?
- Are you planning your workforce for the future?
- How difficult is recruitment?
- How difficult is getting the right training?
- How difficult is retention or replacement?
- What causes these difficulties?
- How do these issues affect your business?
- How are you tackling these challenges?
Solutions and Collaboration
- Is there anything you can’t do alone?
- How can we overcome barriers?
- Why is your view so important to us?
This research project is nearing completion and the research reports will be published shortly
The BCP supports training, competencies and qualifications in all roofing disciplines:
Sheeting and Cladding,
Built Up Felt Roofing:
Single Ply Roofing: