What is the Roofing Trailblazer?
The Roofing Industry Alliance worked extensively with the National Federation of Roofing Contractors to develop a Trailblazer Standard for the Roofing Industry.
The aims of the trailblazer initiative were set by the Department for Business innovation and Skills and included to:
- Put the employers in the driving seat
- Increase the quality of apprenticeships
- Simplify the systems
- Give employers purchasing power
The NFRC called together employers and training organisations to consult through the development stage of this new qualification for roofing.
The trailblazer employer group consisted of 10 roofing employers from micro, small and large companies who have worked very closely with the NFRC in compiling the Trailblazer for Roofing Standard, which covers three options:
- Roof Slater and Tiler
- Waterproof Membranes Installer
- Roof Sheeter and Cladder
The Trailblazer for Roofing Standard
The NFRC led Apprenticeship Trailblazer Group consulted widely on its draft of Trailblazer for Roofing Standard which was shared with the wider roofing industry and key stakeholders including:
- NFRC Roofing Members
- All NFRC Affiliated roofing colleges
- Single Ply Roofing Association
- Liquid Roofing Waterproofing Association
- Construction Industry Training Board (CITB)
- 12 Regional Roof Training Groups
The CITB Research team worked closely with NFRC in providing support with setting up an on-line snap survey and the consultation was carried out over a period of 3 weeks between 17th May 2016 to 3rd June 2016. During this period the survey was published on the CITB website, published through social media and the Roofing press including Roofing Today Magazine online version and the RCI Magazine On line News and the NFRC Times Newsletter.
The RIA/NFR received 30 individual responses, the breakdown of respondents is as follows:
- Micro roofing employers (9 and less direct employees) – 13%
- Small employers (10 to 49 direct employees) – 43.5%
- Medium roofing employers (50 to 249 direct employees) – 26.1%
- Large roofing employers (250 + direct empoyees) – 17.4%
The 30 employers who submitted their responses were split across a number of disciplines and full results of the employer consultation are available to download here.